As a mom who works outside of the home, I have learned a few tips to help my week run a little smoother. It is hard getting off to work each morning, but these few tips make my week so much easier. It is amazing to think how much time I now have in the mornings and evenings during the week since implementing this list.
So my checklist includes several simple things. My goal each weekend is to get these things done before Monday when I start work. If it is a holiday Monday, I sometimes move my list to Monday. This is my Sunday checklist.
- Meal prep: I am all about meal prepping each week. Not only does this make my morning routine quicker, it also helps me to eat healthier during the week. I prep my breakfast, lunch, and two snacks for everyday I am working outside of the home that week. I include everything needed in the meal (condiments, side items, etc.) in my meal prep, so in the morning I just grab and go with little, if any additional prep in the morning. I purposely choose meals that will last for a full week so I don’t have to worry about prepping additional food later in the week. I even prep my water bottle, since I carry a pretty big bottle and it takes a while to fill. 🙂
- Clothes: I try to pull all my outfits for the week (or at least 2-3 outfits to start the week). This might even mean washing clothes to make sure I have the items I need for that week. I have found this keeps me from having to wash during the week and in the morning I don’t have to think about what I am going to wear, which also saves time. I just grab my outfit and get ready. If you are not able to do a whole week of outfits, at least do a few days, but make sure you have an outfit ready for the next day each evening. This is a BIG time saver for me.
- Cleaning: I clean our kitchen, bathrooms, and some of the floors. I straighten up in other rooms in the house as needed. My husband helps with this as well. We try to make sure all the bathrooms and the kitchen get a good clean. Of course we also clean the kitchen during the week and the bathrooms, as needed. It just makes me feel good knowing that we are starting the week fresh and clean. 🙂 Plus, if we have any visitors or guests during the week there is less stress and worry about trying to clean things at the last minute. Having a weekly cleaning schedule really helps alleviate stress for me, plus I get to come home to a clean house.
- Change sheets, towels, etc.: I change all the bedding and towels in the house at least once a week. This kind of goes along with #3. It just helps to have a schedule for doing this so I don’t have to think when were the sheets/towels changed? I know, in general, they were changed last Sunday. This goes along with starting the week off fresh.
- Update my planner/review my calendar: This lets me know what I have ahead of me for the week. I usually try to do this before I plan my outfits for the week. I can plan my outfits according to what is going on at work that week, plus I check the weather.
- Grocery shopping: I do this before I meal prep, but this also helps so that we don’t have to run to the store in the middle of the week when we are both tired. Occasionally, something is forgotten and a trip to the store is needed, but this cuts back on those trips by quite a bit.
- Family meeting: I will elaborate on this more in a later post, but a family meeting can help your family get on the same page before the week begins.
- Other items: Depending on your commute and your family, you should prep any items you know you need for the week. So if you have a long commute each week, you should make sure you have a full tank of gas. That is one less thing to think about during the week. If you have school aged kids, you should help them prep their book bags, clothes, and lunches for the week. Similar to the prep you do for yourself, do it for your kids as well. That way there is little thought for them in the morning either and this will help everyone’s morning run smoother. Look for any items you might need for the week on Sunday night. I HATE when I can’t find an item I am looking for on Monday morning. I run around like a crazy person trying to find it and then I end up leaving the house later than planned. It throws off my whole morning. As much as possible, I try to prevent this by pulling out items I know I will need for the week and planning ahead either on Sunday or the night before during the week.
All of these items do not have to occur on Sunday. Sometimes if I have a busy Saturday or just want to relax on Saturday, they will all be done on Sunday (it is possible). It really just depends on how my weekend is going. Saturday is usually our family day, so we try to focus more on doing things with our family and getting out of the house, so most Sundays this is my checklist. If I am exhausted, traveling, or have a busy Sunday, some items might not get done, but this is my goal checklist and I try to do what I can and prioritize other items for later in the week.
What items do you include on your checklist that help you have a better week?